Wednesday, August 13, 2008

when the media writes: WIVB TV Buffalo NY

I have daily Google alert emails for "rape" and "sexual assault". Sadly, not a day goes by when I don't receive both emails.
One of today's stories is about the arraignment of a 17 year old who raped a teenaged store clerk in Buffalo, NY.
I want to focus on a segment of WIVB Channel 4 news report:
NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. (WIVB) - ...Anthony Markel is accused of assaulting and raping a teenaged clerk at Watson's Chocolate Shop in Pine Plaza Niagara Falls. He has also been charged with a predatory sexual assault, a very serious charge.
Um, I'm sorry, is rape not a very serious charge? Let's write this in plain English and be crystal clear about what this man is accused of: rape, assault and predatory sexual assault - which means that he assaulted or threatened her with a weapon. In this case, it was a butcher's knife.
I'm sorry - WTF? Yes, bad things happen every day but why, why don't we spend some money in this country to study the behavior of a 17 year old boy who walks into a store, has his friend be the watch man, picks up a butcher's knife and attacks a young girl?
I have no more words for this one except bail was set at 250,000. Let's watch this one as he is 17 years old. I'm guessing he gets less than 10. Leroy Johnson was 17 when he and his buddy attacked Kelly McGillis and her roommate at knifepoint. He served less than 4 years, went on to attack a few more women, threatened the President, before raping me and my roommate. Please tell me where we are making progress.

No comments:

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP