Thursday, October 18, 2007

defying the cochran

audrey on white, 2007

maybe later?

I give the places I have lived in far more press coverage than they deserve. Waverly Place has become my construction site, rebuilding the underbelly of that wicked and beautiful neighborhood, to my last home I shared with David. The place was completely falling apart. If I were to press my hand against the bathroom wall, I could conceivably push through to the kitchen. Water damage. Pipes bursting. 8 year old grey carpets. 12+ old institutional white walls the management never painted (and we were not allowed to paint). An airplane sized sink in the kitchen. Zero counter space. We had water, most of the time, but I don't even want to know what awfulness was in that beige liquid.
When we moved to a fresh space and I was buying furniture and painting, I noticed a very obvious trend: everything I bought was off-white. It was if I had decided that I was going to stick a vamp painted nail in the air to a place that could never wear white. So now we wear white in the fall, on through the winter, and it's quite liberating.
The point being, in some very grasping at straws way, is that when we own something that we call home, we can make peace with that past, or at least laugh at it. Because you can wear white in any season. And so now, my home will be clean, healthy and full of brightness. I'll eventually add color because I do adore a 64 color box of crayons. But for now, I'm wearing white after Labor Day and loving it.

No comments:

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP