It has been a year of national change. Unity. Dissention. Politics in heavy rotation. Strong opinions at the dinner table. Magic maps. There are many many people in this world who have inspired me but for this year's list, I'm sticking with those people in the neighborhood who made me a little humbler, stronger, prouder, and most importantly, selfless.
I loved reading last year's list and thinking that those people still totally floor me. I'm happy that they too have seen so much change in 2008. As I turned page after page to reveal a new month, a new image and 28-31 days ahead of me, I met, found, reconnected or realized the strength, spirit and hearts of the people who rocked my year. If you don't know them, I am happy to introduce them to you. If you ever meet them, well then you're just plum lucky.
Tracey Rooney - yes, she's my best friend, my childhood friend and still to this day, my neighborhood outdoor play date. This year she became my maid of honor. Some say it is a honor to be asked. I think it's an honor to have that person accept. Tracey is a Libra and the energy she gives off is always balanced. She has serious perspective. She loves other people and does it well because she fearlessly follows what's right for her. To know is hard enough but to execute it? I think most people on my list have the amazing ability to prioritize their time according to what they need to do to be great in the world. It makes what they give back so genuine, thoughtful and yeah, inspiring. We take hikes around our neighborhoods and not only do we hike 4, 6, 8 miles, we sort our stuff out, let it hang in the air, drop off a cliff, cling to a new perspective. She has always been a sister to me and I am so proud and off the wall excited to have her as my maid of honor. It truly is.
Angie Goodfriend - if you've come to a point in your life where you see your parents as both parents and regular folk, then you are in a good place. There have been many external attempts to separate me from my step mother, the person who raised me, my mother. There has been a loss for words, silence, awkwardness, and tiny steps toward each other. My mother never took credit for raising me, but she did. She taught me to be an independent woman, to work hard, to be safe, courageous and live a little. When I got engaged, I wasn't sure how this was going to work out but I wanted my mom to be mom again. And there she was - and is - almost breaking and entering my venue just to have a look at the inside, offering her home to guests, her advice, welcoming David to our family. Being mom. I learned what she'd like to do in the future as I work on listening more than talking. Even though she couldn't physically be at my engagement party, she was all over the party with the photos she sent and the captions she wrote on each and every photo. I always thought I learned my strong work ethic from my father but I think the honest hustle and fair play and management comes from her. My sensitivity. All that - gifts from her.
Kate Hull- Aside from being an incredible asset to RAINN and bringing me back into the family in a very big way, Kate is like a super dose of sunshine on a gray and rainy day. And that was just from talking to her on the phone. We met for the first time this year and it was like meeting an old friend - a super adorable friend that all my single guy friends would be lining up to meet. And then there's the whole dressing like twins that's a little crazy but to me says us serious girls like to have fun and wear cute shoes too. I give to RAINN and they give back to me ten times over. They gave me a good friend to boot. A positive, smart girl's girl who always seems to be smiling. For Christmas, I bought her Clinique.heart. That's what she reminds me of. The heart in all of what we do.
Jodi Alempijevic - a past host who married another host (okay they were already friends), we remained friends as she moved on from matchmaking to making a baby - the cuteness that is Lincoln. Jodi and I have similar histories and ,as Hemingway said, we are "strong at the broken places". Another rock star smartie pants, wife, mom, and fellow creative creature, Jodi is not afraid to try something new. Age is really just a number and Jodi constantly reminds me of that. She also reminds me that for things to be possible, you must try. And as a mom and creating a new family, molding and shaping that environment so the you is not lost. I love that. I could see her rollerblading down a main street in a prom dress eating an ice cream cone. She is the twin sister of fun and I can't wait to see her and Dejan in the new year!
Suzy Morris - talk about a woman who keeps it all together? build a clientele - in a year. Have a great relationship. Have some pretty independent women goals - some that have been met, others that are on the fast track, Suzy is the sparkly confident blonde with the positive attitude and no-nonsense approach to her own business. From her sweet voice, who would ever suspect it? She's gentle, bold and fearless. What a great combination. What a great friend.
Happy New Year's!
xoxo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment