Monday, July 7, 2008

RAINN - connect the drops


I'm giving a little shout out to Director of all things important and relevant *here* (yes on our watch, Mr. Clooney) Miss Kate Hull from RAINN who in just a few days covered more ground hitting up every media outlet in LA than an A-lister promoting their "Oscar written all over it" performance of the year. In a good way.
I had never met Kate, and finding out that she would be in town just a day before I returned from CT made me rethink my departure date. But then I wouldn't have been in the room for the sonogram and would have missed all that amazingness. In the end, Kate stayed on through the weekend so I got the chance to meet the woman who sends all good speaking things my way and who knew she would be so darn adorable? She's the kind of friend you give a spare set of keys to (eek, no pun intended), who gets lots of flowers on their birthday, and who shares my love of Mark Ruffalo, Scott Speedman, Netflix obssessions and black labs.
I know- is there a point to this post other than loving Kate and RAINN? Well to tie it in a bow, I was just thinking about this little community we have here that's always better than I ever expected. It makes my job that much easier, that much more dire, that much more sane. Oh yeah - and just another reminder that we are fun people. We tend to love life, and that's what makes it so very necessary to protect it. On our soil.
Have you read about RAINN's online hotline ? Did you know that you can literally go to the site and chat with a trained professional online? These things are not easy, and RAINN just made it that much more accessible and easier for a survivor to get the help and information they need. I certainly didn't know. Rape doesn't come with a handbook but these programs that we so desperately need to support help millions of people a year. Please read up, volunteer, donate money - it's happened to someone you love. This much we know is true for everyone.

No comments:

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP